Hi Sandy

I believe that FHWA requires that states receiving SP&R funds must use TRIS/TRID for reporting of research in progress and inputting of final reports. Below my signature is a section from the Code of Federal Regulations. See especially (a)(4).

I’d like to remind everyone of the 2014 report Improvement of Research Report Distribution and Access and Promotion of More Effective Use of Technical Report Documentation Page, USDOT Form 1700.7 (I was a co-author). Here is a link to the full text. Here is a quote from p. A-18: "All of the State DOT agencies reported that they are required to send completed SPR-funded reports to TRB (TRID) and nearly all reported that they are required to send them to the NTL.”

See p. A-21 of the report for a summary of best practices.

Regards,
Sandy T.

Sec. 420.207 Conditions for grant approval.

    (a) As condition for approval of FHWA planning and research funds for RD&T activities, a State shall implement a program of RD&T activities for planning, design, construction, and maintenance of highways, public transportation. and intermodal transportation systems. Not less than 25 percent of the State'sapportioned SPR funds shall be spent on such activities; unless waived by the FHWA, in accordance with the provisions of Sec. 420.107. In addition the State shall develop, establish, and implement a management process that identifies and implements RD&T activities expected to address highest priority transportation issues, and includes:

      (1) An interactive process for identification and prioritization of RD&T activities for inclusion in an RD&T work program;

      (2) Utilization, to the maximum extent possible, of all FHWA planning and research funds set aside for RD&T activities either internally or for participation in national, regional pooled, or cooperatively funded studies;

      (3) Procedures for tracking program activities, schedules, accomplishments, and fiscal commitments;

      (4) Support and use of the TRIS database for program development, reporting of active RD&T activities, and input of the final report information;

      (5) Procedures to determine the effectiveness of the State's management process in implementing the RD&T program, to determine the utilization of the State's RD&T outputs, and to facilitate peer reviews of its RD&T Program on a periodic basis and;

      (6) Procedures for documenting RD&T activities through the preparation of final reports. As a minimum, the documentation shall include the data collected, analyses performed, conclusions, and recommendations. The State shall actively implement appropriate research findings and should document benefits.