COREFACTS Archives

December 2009

COREFACTS@LISTSERV.IT.NORTHWESTERN.EDU

From:
Philip Hockberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Hockberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:21:17 -0600
Dear Faculty,

I would like to bring to your attention a new funding opportunity supported by the Office
for Research beginning January 1, 2010. It is a Voucher Program (each voucher is
equivalent to $10,000) for use of equipment or services in a university-sponsored core
facility. The following conditions describe how you can earn a voucher.

1. A voucher can be earned by any faculty member who writes a successful
instrumentation grant worth $100,000 or more AND places the instrument in a university-
sponsored core facility.

2. The voucher applies only to the faculty member who is the Principal Investigator (PI)
on the grant.

3. A voucher will be applied to use of the new instrument.

4. The faculty member (PI of the instrumentation grant) must obtain prior approval of the
core director*.

5. The voucher will be made out to the facility for use in the PI’s name.

6. The PI will also receive priority sign-up on the new instrument.

* To determine if an instrument aligns with the operation of a core, the PI and the core
director must jointly agree to a management plan that shows how the OVERALL core
budget, space, and expertise can accommodate the long-term (at least 3 yrs)
maintenance of the instrument. This includes projected revenues, service contracts (if
applicable) and salary.

I hope that you will take this opportunity to consider writing a instrumentation grant for
that instrument that you have been wishing NU had. If you would like advice on how to
write a successful instrumentation grant, we will be running a workshop (to be scheduled
in early February) that will cover how to write such a grant. More information on the
workshop will be mailed to you in early January. Applications for the 2010 NIH Small
Instrumentation Grant (SIG, $100K-500K) program are due in March, respectively.

Phil Hockberger
Director of Core Facilities
Office for Research