DICTY Archives

January 2010, Week 3

From:
Hideko Urushihara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:59:23 +0900
Dear Petra,

Here is a history for 4 GP138 genes.
First, a glycoprotein of 138 KDa was found as a target protein for cell fusion-blocking antibodies. Two genes possibly encoding it were isolated and named GP138A and GP138B. Then, the protein itself was shown to be present as isoforms, being renamed DdFRP1alpha, -1beta, -2 and -3. Later, two more paralogous genes,GP138C and GP138D, were identified and we have altogether four genes now. The relationship between those genes and proteins are;
	GP138D <-> DdFRP1alpha
	GP138C <-> DdFRP1beta
	GP138A <-> DdFRP2
	GP138B <-> DdFRP3
Reference: Hata et al., 2001. Gene 271:33-42.

It would be sound if we could move GP138 to frp after DdFRP (FRP stands for Fusion-Related Protein). Unfortunately, however, there is already frp for Fimbrin-Related Protein.

My suggestion is to change GP138 to cfr (cell fusion related) as an alternative to frp.
	cfrA <-> GP138A <-> DdFRP2
	cfrB <-> GP138B <-> DdFRP3
	cfrC <-> GP138C <-> DdFRP1beta
	cfrD <-> GP138D <-> DdFRP1alpha
I feel like it better than gp138 which has been used for a protein.

Best
Hideko