DICTY Archives

June 2011, Week 4

From:
Douwe Veltman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:10:55 +0100
Dear Xuezhi,

If the vectors you recover do not have your insert, the most likely culprit is the BglII digestion. The BglII enzyme is not very robust.

We use NEB enzymes. According to the manual BglII has 75% activity in buffer 2, but I find this to be much lower. On the other hand SpeI has a reported activity of 25% in buffer 3, but I find that it actually cuts just fine in this buffer. Therefore I perform all BglII/SpeI double digestions in buffer 3.

Another way to be sure you get a good double digestion is by using pDM vectors with a GateWay cassette. For a C-terminal GFP with G418 resistance that would be pDM353. Upon digestion with BglII/SpeI the 1.7 kb GateWay cassette drops out of the vector and that gives a nice band shift on gel. I have found this bandshift to be the most useful property of GateWay vectors.

Furthermore I would recommend switching to hygromycin as a selectable marker. Selection with hygromcyin faster and transfected cells are robustly resistant against hygromycin, whereas cells under G418 selective pressure always appear somewhat sick and have an increased doubling time. The hygromycin resistant C-terminal GFP fusion vector with GateWay is pDM450 and this is by far the most used vector in our lab.

Kind regards,

Douwe Veltman