DICTY Archives

September 2014, Week 4

From:
Richard Gomer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 14:08:52 +0000
Hi-
I think it does stain veg cells. I once had an undergraduate try about 50 different stains (a nearby lab had a large collection of stains) on vegetative cells, looking for heterogeneity in the population, Pretty much all of the stains stained something, and we saw some interesting stuff, W-G was one of the protocols if I remember.  To keep the cells adhered during fixation steps, coat the plastic (we used 96 well plates) with rat tail collagen or bovine collagen, then let cells grow on this overnight.  Add the fix (paraformaldehyde or ethanol) slowly to the well.
cheers
Richard Gomer
Professor of Biology
Texas A&M University