DICTY Archives

January 2011, Week 1

From:
dictyBase <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:00:56 -0600
dictyNews
Electronic Edition
Volume 36, number 1
Jan 7, 2010

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been
accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]
or by using the form at
http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other
useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:
http://twitter.com/dictybase

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

=========
Abstracts
=========

Developmental Gene Regulation by an Ancient Intercellular Communication
System in Social Amoebae

Asma Asghar, Marco Groth, Oliver Siol, Friedemann Gaube, Christoph
Enzensperger, Gernot Glöckner, Thomas Winckler

Protist, in press

The social amoebae (Dictyostelia) use quorum sensing-like communication
systems to coordinate the periodic transition from uni- to multicellularity.
The monophyletic descent of the Dictyostelia provides a unique opportunity
to study the origin and adaptive evolution of such intercellular communication
systems. We determined that the ability of aggregation-competent cells to
respond to the intercellular messenger glorin occurred in the most ancient
taxa of the Dictyostelia. We show using Illumina sequencing technology that
glorin mediates rapid changes in gene expression at the transition from
vegetative growth to aggregation, apparently without pronounced cross-talk
with the cyclic AMP-based communication system that coordinates post-
aggregation events in these species. We conclude that peptide-based
communication is the most ancient form of intercellular signaling in the
evolution of multicellularity in the social amoebae, but has been repeatedly
replaced by other communication systems during the monophyletic evolution
of the social amoebae. Glorin communication has parallels with quorum
sensing in that the molecule diffuses into the field, stimulates gene
expression in receptive cells and coordinates a population-wide response.

Submitted by Thomas Winckler [[log in to unmask]]

Derivatives of Dictyostelium differentiation-inducing factors promote
mitogen-activated IL-2 production via AP-1 in Jurkat cells

Katsunori Takahashi 1, Masami Murakami 1, Haruhisa Kikuchi 2,
Yoshiteru Oshima 2, Yuzuru Kubohara 3

1 Department of Clinical Laboratory, Gunma University School of Medicine,
Maebashi 371-8511, Japan
2 Laboratory of Natural Product Chemistry, Tohoku University Graduate School
of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Aoba-yama, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8578, Japan
3 Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Institute for Molecular and
Cellular Regulation, Gunma University, Maebashi 371-8512, Japan

Life Sciences, in press.

Aims: Differentiation-inducing factors (DIFs) are chlorinated alkylphenones
found in the cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum. DIF derivatives
exhibit antiproliferative activities and promote glucose consumption in
mammalian cells in vitro. Here, we assessed the ability of DIFs to regulate
the immune system in a mammalian cell-line and investigated their
mechanisms of action.

Main methods: We examined the effects of 30 DIF derivatives on concanavalin
A–induced interleukin-2 (IL-2) production (CIIP) in Jurkat T-cells. We also
examined the effects of these DIF derivatives on the activity of three transcription
factors required for CIIP: namely, activator protein-1 (AP-1), nuclear factor of
activated T-cells (NFAT), and nuclear factor kappa B (NFkB).

Key findings: A reporter gene assay suggested that 2 DIF derivatives, termed
DIF-1(+1) and DIF-3(3M), significantly promoted CIIP in Jurkat cells, at least
in part, by enhancing the activity of AP-1. These 2 DIF derivatives had no
significant effect on concanavalin A–induced interferon-gamma production.
Significance: The results suggest that DIF derivatives could be developed
as novel drugs for the activation of IL-2 production and resultant stimulation
of the immune system.

Submitted by: Yuzuru Kubohara [[log in to unmask]]
[End dictyNews, volume 36, number 1]