DICTY Archives

April 2014, Week 1

From:
Fred Spiegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 14:37:07 +0000
When you are using phase contrast, the vacuoles will usually look much
brighter and more sharp-edged than nuclei.  My preferred way of
recognizing nuclei is to look for the peripheral nucleolus.  It will
appear as several phase-dense bodies pressed against the inner boundary of
the nuclear envelope.  It is easier to pick out the nucleolus by focusing
up and down through the nucleus than if you stay in one focal plane.  The
nucleolus can be harder to pick out with bright field and DIC because
there is not as big a contrast difference as there is with phase.
Anything you can do to flatten the cells out will help.  Also, since the
nuclei are much smaller than those in most amoebozoans, it can really help
if you are able to use oil immersion for its better resolution. - Fred
Spiegel

Frederick W. Spiegel
Professor

Department of Biological Sciences