DICTY Archives

June 2021, Week 1

From:
"Gomer, Richard H" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2021 18:23:24 +0000
Hi Huaqing-
I would not give up on the immunofluorescence localization. Each antibody has its own peculiarities, and often needs a specific set of fixation and staining protocols to work.  I've seen the same antigen injected into two different rabbits produce polyclonal antibodies where antibodies from one rabbit only work well in PBS and the antibodies from the other rabbit only work well in Tris-buffered saline.  Annoying. You will have to vary 3 parameters to explore the parameter space, going through a bunch of coverslips:

Axis 1 is fixation: Try (each of the following is a different method)
-ice cold methanol
-room temp 95% ethanol
-room temp 3% fomaldehyde in 20 mM phosphate buffer pH 6.5
-room temp 3% fomaldehyde in 20 mM phosphate buffer pH 6.5 10 min followed by 10 min at room temp 95% ethanol
-room temp 3% fomaldehyde/ 0.1% glutaraldehyde  in 20 mM phosphate buffer pH 6.5 (remember to work with glutaraldehyde in the hood)
-anything else you can think of
all 10 minutes, followed by PBS/ 0.5% NP-40

Axis 2 is buffer: for all of the fixation methods above, try the antibody at 1:50 (if at all possible, have the antibody purified with Protein A beads to get fairly pure IgG, make sure this IgG fraction works for you on Western blots, some antibodies are mostly IgM), using each of the following buffers for the primary antibody incubation and the primary antibody washes (3 washes, 5 minutes each); then just use PBS/ Tween for the secondary antibody 1 hour room temp and 3 washes in PBS/Tween
-Phosphate buffered saline (PBS; 130 mM NaCl, 20 mM Phosphate pH7.2)
-PBS/ 0.05% Tween 20
-PBS with 1 mM MgCl2
PBS/ Mg/ 0.05% Tween 20
-Tris buffered saline (TBS: 130 mM NaCl, 20 mM Tris/HCl pH7.2)
-TBS/ 0.05% Tween 20
-TBS/ 1 mM MgCl2
-TBS/ Mg/ 0.05% Tween 20
-and each of the above 8 preceded by an antigen retrieval step (typically heat sample to 95 degrees C in citrate buffer pH 6; google this for details)

Axis 3 is stain temperature; try all of the above with the primary antibody incubation done in a humid box
-37 degrees for 1 hour
-Room temp for 1 hour
-4 degrees overnight

once you see some staining, you can then start dialing back the primary antibody concentration, and if there is a lot of background, start going harsher on the primary incubation and wash conditions - add .3 M NaCl, or .5 M NaCl, or high salt and 1% NP40, or (harshest) high salt/ 1%NP-40/ 0.1%SDS

good luck

Richard Gomer
Department of Biology
Texas A&M University