DICTY Archives

November 2013, Week 2

From:
Daniel Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:19:43 -0500
Dear Cynthia,

That particular contaminant doesn't sound familiar to me.  However, I have found that the most sure-fire way to get rid of contamination of any kind is to grow the cells on bacterial lawns.  Make a lawn of Klebsiella or other suitable food bacteria on a 10 cm SM plate and deposit a few contaminated cells at one edge of the plate.  Let the Dicty eat their way across the plate (this may take a week or so), and once fruiting bodies are formed, pick spores from the opposite edge of the plate from where you deposited the cells initially, taking care not to touch the surface of the agar.  You may have to do this a couple of times for a particularly aggressive contaminant (for example, filamentous fungi), but the Dicty will eventually out-eat and out-migrate every contaminant I have ever encountered.  If your contaminant still re-appears, then you can be almost certain that it is being introduced during media preparation or subculturing.

Good luck!
Dan Dickinson