DICTY Archives

October 2009, Week 1

From:
Brenda Blacklock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 13:05:37 -0400
Dear Louise,

There are a few of us in the Dicty world who are interested in Dicty's
lipids beyond phosphatidylinositols, however, there is very little
published.  The Kay lab knows about Saito's papers on the delta5
desaturases, I'm sure.  I published a short paper on one of the
condensing enzymes involved in fatty acid elongation last year
(Blacklock et al, 2008, BBRC 374, 226-230) and am working on another
manuscript describing another of the condensing enzymes.  The Devreotes
lab published a paper on CHAPS-resistant membranes and cAR1 in the mid
1990's which presumably described rafts in Dicty but there was not very
much characterization of the lipids.  The Alexanders' lab have published
a number of papers on enzymes in the sphingolipid degradation pathway
that are involved in cisplatin resistance in the past few years.
Beyond that, I am only aware of old papers by Weeks and Herring (JLR,
(1980) 21, 681) and Davidoff and Korn (JBC (1963), 238, 3199 and 3210).

I am interested in the role of sphingolipids in Dicty development and am
gearing up to describe the lipidome of Dicty using tandem mass
spectrometry.  We have developed extraction methods for total Dicty
lipids and are developing LC/MSn techniques to characterize the lipids.
Our goal is to use these methods to look at the role of various genes on
lipid and developmental phenotypes.  So we are working on getting the
information that you are interested in but describing the entire
lipidome including all of the molecular species of each lipid is a
complex task.

We will be looking for mutants to compare with the lipidome of the
wildtype in the future.  Do you have a particular mutant that you are
working on that might have a lipid metabolism phenotype?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Brenda Blacklock

--
Brenda Blacklock, PhD
Assistant Research Professor