DICTY Archives

July 2013, Week 1

From:
Douwe Veltman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:55:05 +0100
I find that GFP fusions generally work better than RFP fusions. RFP is
almost always less bright and sometimes simply fails to express.

I use both mRFPmars and codon-optimized mCherry and they behave very
similarly. The only advantage of mCherry it that it is not excited with
the 488 laser, which is used to excite GFP. This can prevent unwanted
bleed-through and bleaching.

TagRFP is a different protein. Sometimes a fusion that does not work with
mRFPmars/mCherry (no expression, aggregation), works well with TagRFP. The
disadvantage of TagRFP is that it bleaches very rapidly. The photostable
version of TagRFP circumvents this, but in my hands this protein was not
very bright.

Douwe Veltman