DICTY Archives

June 2010, Week 4

From:
Kei Inouye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:33:05 +0900
Dear Ralph,

Marin and Rothman (1980, JCB 87, 823) give ionic contents of A3
vegetative cells measured by flame photometry (Na 8.2, K 46.5 meq/L).
Maeda (1983, Bot Mag 96, 193) reports ionic contents of D. d. NC-4
vegetative cells by atomic absorption spectroscopy (35.0, 3.6, 10.6,
and 2.3 for K, Na, Mg, and Ca, respectively). She further
demonstrates the effects of external Na and K concentrations. I
measured Na, K and Cl of NC-4 and D. mucoroides veg cells by flame
photometry and chloridometry (unpublished) and obtained Na and K
values comparable to Maeda's values. The Cl concentration was always
about twice that of Na.
Cytosolic pH is most likely between 7 and 7.5. See appendix of Inouye
(1988, JCS 91, 109).

Maeda (1983)
http://springerlink.com/content/t106081564836261/fulltext.pdf
Inouye (1988)
http://jcs.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/91/1/109
These papers somehow cannot be found on Pubmed.

Best wishes,
Kei

Kei Inouye
Department of Botany