DICTY Archives

October 2009, Week 1

From:
Alan Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:42:13 -0400
quite a few years back - I (with rick firtel, bill loomis, elliot
rosen) looked at the heat shock response. i am pretty sure we saw
heat shock at 30oC, with a significant unloading (~80 %?) in <30 min
of polysomes in growing cells - in HL5 media. it is unlikely we tried
Paul's trick, but from data in other systems, i would not expect that
the heat shock response in growth to be protected by mannitol -
certainly worth a try, though.

how would i reconcile paul's observation? polysomes in starved cells
are already unloaded to 90%, with a preferential "loading" of
develop. mRNAs. so mannitol may protect more generalized stress in development.

i am not sure any of this was ever published and bill and rick
probably have more data/ideas.

alan kimmel