DICTY Archives

June 2023, Week 1

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:27:05 +0000
dictyNews

Electronic Edition

Volume 49, number 15

June 2, 2023

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been

accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]

or by using the form at

http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other

useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:

http://twitter.com/dictybase

=========

Abstracts

=========

Recruitment of both the ESCRT and autophagic machineries to

ejecting Mycobacterium marinum

Lilli Gerstenmaier1, Ombretta Colasanti1, Hannah Behrens1,

Margot Kolonko1, Christian Hammann2,3, Monica Hagedorn1,2,3

1Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, 20359 Hamburg,

Germany.

2Ribogenetics Biochemistry Lab, Department of Life Sciences and

Chemistry, Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH, Campus Ring 1,

28759 Bremen, Germany.

3Health and Medical University, Campus Potsdam, Olympischer

Weg 1, 14471 Potsdam, Germany.

Current Protocols, Mol. Micrcrobiology 2023 May 25

doi: 10.1111/mmi.15075

Cytosolic Mycobacterium marinum are ejected from host cells such

as macrophages or the amoeba Dictyostelium discoideum in a

non-lytic fashion. As described previously, the autophagic machinery

is recruited to ejecting bacteria and supports host cell integrity during

egress. Here, we show that the ESCRT machinery is also recruited to

ejecting bacteria, partially dependent on an intact autophagic pathway.

As such, the AAA-ATPase Vps4 shows a distinct localization at the

ejectosome structure in comparison to fluorescently tagged Vps32,

Tsg101 and Alix. Along the bacterium engaged in ejection, ESCRT

and the autophagic component Atg8 show partial colocalization. We

hypothesize that both, the ESCRT and autophagic machinery localize

to the bacterium as part of a membrane damage response, as well as

part of a “frustrated autophagosome” that is unable to engulf the

ejecting bacterium.

Submitted by Monica Hagedorn

Proteasomes of autophagy-deficient cells exhibit alterations in

regulatory proteins and a marked reduction in activity

Qiuhong Xiong, Rong Feng, Sarah Fischer, Malte Karow, Maria

Stumpf, Susanne Meßling, Leonie Nitz, Stefan Müller, Christoph S.

Clemen , Ning Song, Ping Li, Changxin Wu, Ludwig Eichinger

Cells, accepted

Autophagy and the ubiquitin proteasome system are the two major

processes for the clearance and recycling of proteins and organelles

in eukaryotic cells. Evidence is accumulating that there is extensive

cross-talk between the two pathways, but the underlying mechanisms

are still unclear. We previously found, that autophagy (ATG9) and 16

(ATG16) proteins are crucial for full proteasomal activity in the

unicellular amoeba Dictyostelium discoideum. In comparison to AX2

wild-type cells, ATG9¯ and ATG16¯ cells, displayed a 60% and

ATG9¯/16¯ cells a 90% decrease in proteasomal activity. Mutant cells

also showed a significant increase in poly-ubiquitinated proteins and

contained large ubiquitin-positive protein aggregates. Here, we

focused on possible reasons for these results. Re-analysis of

published tandem mass tag-based quantitative proteomic results of

AX2, ATG9¯, ATG16¯, and ATG9¯/16¯ cells revealed no change in the

abundance of proteasomal subunits. To identify possible differences

in proteasome-associated proteins, we generated AX2 wild-type and

ATG16¯ cells expressing the 20S proteasomal subunit PSMA4 as

GFP-tagged fusion protein, and performed co-immunoprecipitation

experiments followed by mass spectrometric analysis. The results

revealed no significant differences in the abundance of proteasomes

between the two strains. However, we found enrichment as well as

depletion of proteasomal regulators and differences in the ubiquitination

of associated proteins for ATG16¯ as compared to AX2 cells. Recently,

proteaphagy has been described as a mean to replace non-functional

proteasomes. We propose that autophagy-deficient D. discoideum

mutants suffer from inefficient proteaphagy, which results in the

accumulation of modified less active and also of inactive proteasomes.

As a consequence, these cells exhibit a dramatic decrease in

proteasomal activity and deranged protein homeostasis.

Submitted by Ludwig Eichinger [[log in to unmask]]

[End dictyNews, volume 49, number 15]