DICTY Archives

October 2009, Week 1

From:
Gareth Bloomfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:49:57 +0100
Hi,

Regarding other Dicty species, it seems from the literature that even
isolates from the tropics often struggle to grow and/or develop at 30
degrees (eg a paper from Cavender -
http://mic.sgmjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/1/113). Leafing through
Raper's 'The Dictystelids' candidates might be D. polycephalum (optimum
temperature for fruiting 28-30 C), D. coeruleo-stipes (fruits between 15
and 30), and D. rhizopdium (fruits at 30).

If anyone had the opposite problem and needed an even less heat-tolerant
species I could recommend D. septentrionalis, which is really beautiful
and suffers anywhere above 20 degrees.

Has anyone looked specifically for heat-tolerant isolates of D. discoideum?

Best regards,

Gareth