DICTY Archives

November 2009, Week 1

From:
Thierry Soldati <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 07:42:42 +0100
Dear Xin-Hua,

The questions are everything but stupid. But obviously, it is not the
first time that, under one or the other form, they are asked to the
community. If I had time I wold compile  a FAQ !
So, for point 1 to 4, cumulated TS lab wisdom is that the
concentration of antibiotics to be used (and this is VERY true for
G418, quite true for hygromycin, and much less for Blasticidin)
depends on the medium used and the confluence of the cells. When we
use commercial HL5c (Formedium, which works for 90% of our strains) or
a traditional, rich recipe for HL5 (that works for the other 10% of
the strains), we vary the concentration by a factor TWO. In Formedium
HL5c, 5 microg/ml, and in HL5, 10 microg/ml are sufficient for G418
and BlastS. But crucially, this depends on the cell density. The
denser he cells, the harder hey are to kill. Therefore, my suggestion
is to finetune your electroporation conditions (see previous DictyNews
correspondence) so as to kill about half of the cells, and plate them
on 2 to 3 10 cm dishes, so that hey will be between 20 and 80%
confluent max the next day. Next day, decant medium and dead cells,
and apply antibiotics at 3 different concentrations, for example 5,
7.5 and 10 microg/ml. This ensures that at least one condition of
concentration/density will be perfect and it also increases the
chances to obtain obviously  independent clones. Then, after 3 to 10
days, pick the forming colonies and ransfer to 12-well plates. Most of
the time, this leads to clonal populations, as judged by the pattern
of GFP expression, or PCR for KOs. If needed, sometime we clone on
Klebsiella, but we are not so happy about that, because it is hard to
keep selection. Nevertheless, it is possible to use plates containing
as high as 50 microg/ml of antibiotics, a lawn of bacteria and
dilutions of Dictys.
Good luck, but please no Voodoo!

Thierry

--