DICTY Archives

February 2013, Week 2

From:
Michael Myre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:57:12 -0500
Thierry

We see the same thing...I always just "assumed" the additional shorter
band (if present) are/were denatured plasmid from the mini-prep that
cannot be cut by RE's.

We too only use XL 10-Gold cells because they accept very large
plasmids without need for electroporation. We have used SURE cells also
to limit re-arrangements but I find they don't transform as well as the
XL cells when it comes to vectors+insert where the sizes exceed 17 kbp.
SURE cells are decent for less than 3kbp inserts but should also be
grown at 30C or less to maintain integrity of the insert and plasmid
(especially if making libraries).

What we do to avoid re-arrangements entirely with XL cells is to grow
them at no more than 30C (often less...even room temp over the weekend)
and use half the concentration of AMP or less (20-25 ug/mL). Satellite
colonies have never been a problem but the plasmid and insert remain
stable...no unwanted deletions of homopolymers etc. (some homopolymers
involve over 100 repeats of the same trinucleotide) and polyprolines are
far more stable using this method as well. Of course it adds a day, but
in the end you usually get what you want cloned and without the headache
of errors.

We have also sequenced some of the pDM vectors across the act15
promoter and have found small errors (deletions or repeats) in the
AT-rich regions. They do not seem to affect expression but I expect they
were accurate when submitted to dictyBase and have undergone mutation in
the E. coli the Center uses, the AMP concentrations and the growth
temperatures.

My 2 cents.

Mike

--