DICTY Archives

October 2009, Week 3

From:
Patrick Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:10:42 -0400
Dear All,

  We teach a semester long project based CMB lab for seniors.  One of the three projects we do involves Dicty cAMP receptor mutants.  This is the least experimental of the three experiments we do as we have the students characterize already known mutants.

  We're considering how to modify this experiment to where we could supply a mutagenized culture of Dicty to the students (prob. a nitroguanidine mutation?) and have them isolate a aggregation mutant.  They could then do cAMP response assays and DNA screening of the car and other genes.

  So, I'm a bacterial, yeast, and drosophila guy - any ideas of how to do an easy screen for students?

  Thanks a lot,

  Pat