DICTY Archives

November 2009, Week 1

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:22:55 -0500
Hi Xin-Hua,

Chemotaxis is a type of cell motility. Polarization is a shape
measurement. These may be correlated at times, or not.

For chemotaxis, the simplest case is a stable gradient, imaged over
tens of minutes, at low magnification (and for Dicty, low but not
very low cell density since cells can secrete attractants and also
produce enzymes that degrade the attractants). If you also want to
measure cell shape, you want a reasonably high numerical aperture
objective lens (and condenser!) and appropriate magnification onto
the detector. For example, a typical 10x/0.3 NA objective lens
projecting a 1x1 mm area onto a 1,000x1,000 pixel detector is at
about the optical resolution limit [ 1.22 *  lambda / (NAobj +
NAcond) ] of 1.0 um (but to use the resolution need to 3x
oversample). 1.0 um pixel size is ok if you are comparing a
population of cells that are 20 um long to a population that is 7 um long.

Stable gradients can be generated in Zigmond chamber, Dunn chamber, a
micropipet, and other methods in the literature.

If you are acquiring timelapse images, see Futrelle et al 1982 J Cell
Biol for a nice chemotaxis index parameter.

George
p.s. recent papers show Dicty amebae tend to alternate between left
and right protrusions from the leading pseudopod. Acquire for long
enough time that this does not matter.

At 03:35 PM 11/4/2009, you wrote:
>Hi, dear all,
>Since I joined Dicty community, I encountered a lot of technique
>problems or confusions. Some of them may be not a real problem, and
>the question may be stupid, but they all bother me for a long time.
>I put them all here, hope you can help me clarify them.
>
>5.      Chemotaxis: to show a mutant strain has chemotaxis defect,
>we would quantify the chemotaxis speed and directionality. However,
>chemotaxis is also dependent on how cells are polarized. For
>example, pi3k- cells would not show a lot of chemotaxis defect if
>they are pulsed long enough. The thing is "pulsed enough" or
>"polarized well" is an arbitrary concept. If polarizing is not
>paralleling, how meaningful to calculate the absolute number of
>"chemotaxis index"? At least we should not expect to get the same
>number from different labs, right?
>
>Thanks,       Xin-Hua Liao

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Image Core Manager
Analytical Imaging Core Facility
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Miami, FL 33136
305-243-8436 office
http://www.sylvester.org/AICF (Analytical Imaging Core Facility)
http://www.sylvester.org/AICF/pubspectra.zip (the entire 2000+