DICTY Archives

April 2023, Week 5

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:35:17 +0000
dictyNews
Electronic Edition
Volume 49, number 11
April 28, 2023

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been
accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]
or by using the form at
http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other
useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:
http://twitter.com/dictybase

=========
Abstracts
=========

A TRAF-like E3 ubiquitin ligase TrafE coordinates ESCRT and
autophagy in endolysosomal damage response and cell-autonomous
immunity to Mycobacterium marinum.

Lyudmil Raykov, Manon Mottet, Jahn Nitschke, Thierry Soldati

Published in eLife : https://elifesciences.org/articles/85727

Cells are perpetually challenged by pathogens, protein aggregates
or chemicals, that induce plasma membrane or endolysosomal
compartments damage. This severe stress is recognised and
controlled by the endosomal sorting complex required for transport
(ESCRT) and the autophagy machineries, which are recruited to
damaged membranes to either repair or to remove membrane
remnants. Yet, insight is limited about how damage is sensed and
which effectors lead to extensive tagging of the damaged organelles
with signals, such as K63-polyubiquitin, required for the
recruitment of membrane repair or removal machineries. To explore
the key factors responsible for detection and marking of damaged
compartments, we use the professional phagocyte Dictyostelium
discoideum. We found an evolutionary conserved E3-ligase, TrafE,
that is robustly recruited to intracellular compartments disrupted
after infection with Mycobacterium marinum or after sterile damage
caused by chemical compounds. TrafE acts at the intersection of
ESCRT and autophagy pathways and plays a key role in functional
recruitment of the ESCRT subunits ALIX, Vps32 and Vps4 to
damage sites. Importantly, we show that the absence of TrafE
severely compromises the xenophagy restriction of mycobacteria
as well as ESCRT-mediated and autophagy-mediated endolysosomal
membrane damage repair, resulting in early cell death.

Submitted by Thierry Soldati [[log in to unmask]]
[End dictyNews, volume 49, number 11]