DICTY Archives

May 2023, Week 3

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2023 21:31:33 +0000
dictyNews

Electronic Edition

Volume 49, number 13

May 19, 2023

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been

accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]

or by using the form at

http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other

useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:

http://twitter.com/dictybase

=========

Abstracts

=========

The protein kinases of Dictyostelia and their incorporation into

a signalome.

Koryu Kin1,3, Zhi-hui Chen1, Gillian Forbes1,4, Hajara Lawal1,

Christina Schilde1,5, Reema Singh1,2,6, Christian Cole2,7,

Geoffrey J. Barton2 and Pauline Schaap1*

1Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, School of Life

Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, United Kingdom

2Computational Biology, School of Life Sciences, University of

Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, United Kingdom,

Cellular Signalling, in press

Protein kinases are major regulators of cellular processes, but the

roles of most kinases remain unresolved. Dictyostelid social

amoebas have been useful in identifying functions for 30% of its

kinases in cell migration, cytokinesis, vesicle trafficking, gene

regulation and other processes but their upstream regulators and

downstream effectors are mostly unknown. Comparative genomics

can assist to distinguish between genes involved in deeply conserved

core processes and those involved in species-specific innovations,

while co-expression of genes as evident from comparative

transcriptomics can provide cues to the protein complement of

regulatory networks. Genomes and developmental and cell-type

specific transcriptomes are available for species that span the 0.5

billion years of evolution of Dictyostelia from their unicellular ancestors.

In this work we analysed conservation and change in the abundance,

functional domain architecture and developmental regulation of protein

kinases across the 4 major taxon groups of Dictyostelia. All data are

summarized in annotated phylogenetic trees of the kinase subtypes

and accompanied by functional information of all kinases that were

experimentally studied. We detected 393 different protein kinase

domains across the five studied genomes, of which 212 were fully

conserved. Conservation was highest (71 %) in the previously defined

AGC, CAMK, CK1, CMCG, STE and TKL groups and lowest (26%) in

the "other" group of typical protein kinases. This was mostly due to

species-specific single gene amplification of “other” kinases. Apart

from the AFK and alpha-kinases, the atypical protein kinases, such

as the PIKK and histidine kinases were also almost fully conserved.

The phylogeny-wide developmental and cell-type specific expression

profiles of the protein kinase genes were combined with profiles from

the same transcriptomic experiments for the families of G-protein

coupled receptors, small GTPases and their GEFs and GAPs, the

transcription factors and for all genes that upon lesion generate a

developmental defect. This dataset was subjected to hierarchical

clustering to identify clusters of co-expressed genes that potentially

act together in a signalling network. The work provides a valuable

resource that allows researchers to identify protein kinases and other

regulatory proteins that are likely to act as intermediates in a network

of interest.

Submitted by Pauline Schaap [[log in to unmask]]

A phosphatidylinositol phosphate kinase inhibits Ras activation and

regulates chemorepulsion in Dictyostelium discoideum

Sara A. Kirolos, Chance E. Hatfield, Ryan J. Rahman, Kristen M.

Consalvo, Nolan K. Dittenhauser, and Richard H. Gomer

J. Cell Science, in press

During developmental and immune responses, cells move towards or

away from some signals. Although much is known about chemoattraction,

chemorepulsion (the movement of cells away from a stimulus) remains

poorly understood. Proliferating Dictyostelium discoideum cells secrete a

chemorepellent protein called AprA. Examining existing knockouts, we

identified proteins required for AprA-induced chemorepulsion, and a

 genetic screen suggested that the enzyme phosphatidylinositol

phosphate kinase A (PIPkinA) may also be needed for chemorepulsion.

Here we show that cells lacking PIPkinA are not repelled by AprA, and

that this phenotype is rescued by expression of PIPkinA. To bias cell

movement, AprA inhibits Ras activation at the side of the cell closest to

the source of AprA, and we find that PIPkinA is required for AprA to inhibit

Ras activation. PIPkinA decreases levels of the phosphatidylinositol

phosphates PI(4)P and PI(3,4,5)P3, and possibly because of these effects,

potentiates phagocytosis and inhibits cell proliferation. Cells lacking

PIPkinA show normal AprA binding, suggesting that PIPkinA regulates

chemorepulsion at a step between the AprA receptor and AprA

inhibition of Ras activation.

Submitted by Richard Gomer[[log in to unmask]]

Enhanced Sestrin expression through Tanshinone 2A treatment i

mproves PI3K-dependent inhibition of glioma growth

Judith Schaf1*, Sonia Shinhmar1*, Qingyu Zeng2, Olivier Pardo3,

Philip Beesley1, Nelofer Syed2 and Robin SB Williams1¥

1 Centre for Biomedical Sciences, School of Biological Sciences,

Royal Holloway University of London, Egham, TW20 0EX, UK.

2 John Fulcher Neuro-Oncology Laboratory, Imperial College

London, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK.

3 Division of Cancer, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Imperial

College London, London, UK.

Cell Death Discovery, in press

Glioblastomas are a highly aggressive cancer type which respond

poorly to current pharmaceutical treatments, thus novel therapeutic

approaches need to be investigated. One such approach involves

the use of the bioactive natural product tanshinone IIA (T2A) derived

from the Chinese herb Danshen, where mechanistic insight for this

anti-cancer agent is needed to validate its use. Here, we employ a

tractable model system, Dictyostelium discoideum, to provide this

insight. T2A potently inhibits cellular proliferation of Dictyostelium,

suggesting molecular targets in this model. We show that T2A rapidly

reduces phosphoinositide 3 kinase (PI3K) and protein kinase B (PKB)

activity, but surprisingly, the downstream complex mechanistic target

of rapamycin complex 1(mTORC1) is only inhibited following chronic

treatment. Investigating regulators of mTORC1, including PKB,

tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC),and AMP-activated protein kinase

(AMPK), suggests these enzymes were not responsible for this effect,

implicating an additional molecular mechanism of T2A. We identify this

mechanism as the increased expression of sestrin, a negative

regulator of mTORC1. We further show that combinatory treatment

using a PI3K inhibitor and T2A gives rise to a synergistic inhibition of

cell proliferation. We then translate our findings to human and mouse-

derived glioblastoma cell lines, where both a PI3K inhibitor (Paxalisib)

and T2A reduces glioblastoma proliferation in monolayer cultures and

in spheroid expansion, with combinatory treatment significantly

enhancing this effect. Thus, we propose a new approach for cancer

treatment, including glioblastomas, through combinatory treatment

with PI3K inhibitors and T2A.

Submitted by Robin Williams [[log in to unmask]]

[End dictyNews, volume 49, number 13]