DICTY Archives

February 2014, Week 3

From:
Daphne Blumberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:47:35 -0500
Hi Shashi,

A lot of things can go wrong with fusion constructs and sometimes you just
have to try a bunch of different things. One thing is that the folding of
the fusion protein can result in weakend fluorescence because of
interaction between the GFP and your Dio3 protein or you may see altered
stability of the fusion protein. A couple of  different things we have
tried that made a difference were first to insert a short 12 to 15 amino
acid linker usually gly ser or gly ala that give a rod shaped structure to
separate the fusion protein from your protein.  The second thing is to try
another fusion protein. We have had good success with the mRFPmars
construct in situations were we could not get good fluorescence with a GFP
fusion construct. With some of our constructs were the amount of the
protein made was so low that we just could not see fluorescence from GFP
or RFP so we had to resort to using anti-GFP antibodies and a fluorescent
second antibody.

Best,
Daphne Blumberg