DICTY Archives

October 2009, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:26:42 +0200
let me just add this:
I am rather sure that this was never published. Elliot had quite
extensive data and he may still have them. One other thing: there were
some developmental effects depending on how long and how hard you
shocked the cells at what time. As far as I remember, some effects
were not seen immediate but only later (even though the cells were
meanwhile returned to normal temp.)
regards
wolfgang

Zitat von Alan Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>:

> quite a few years back - I (with rick firtel, bill loomis, elliot
> rosen) looked at the heat shock response. i am pretty sure we saw
> heat shock at 30oC, with a significant unloading (~80 %?) in <30 min
> of polysomes in growing cells - in HL5 media. it is unlikely we
> tried Paul's trick, but from data in other systems, i would not
> expect that the heat shock response in growth to be protected by
> mannitol - certainly worth a try, though.
>
> how would i reconcile paul's observation? polysomes in starved cells
> are already unloaded to 90%, with a preferential "loading" of
> develop. mRNAs. so mannitol may protect more generalized stress in
> development.
>
> i am not sure any of this was ever published and bill and rick
> probably have more data/ideas.
>
> alan kimmel
>

> At 06:49 AM 10/5/2009, Gareth Bloomfield wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Regarding other Dicty species, it seems from the literature that even
>> isolates from the tropics often struggle to grow and/or develop at 30
>> degrees (eg a paper from Cavender -
>> http://mic.sgmjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/1/113). Leafing through
>> Raper's 'The Dictystelids' candidates might be D. polycephalum (optimum
>> temperature for fruiting 28-30 C), D. coeruleo-stipes (fruits between 15
>> and 30), and D. rhizopdium (fruits at 30).
>>
>> If anyone had the opposite problem and needed an even less heat-tolerant
>> species I could recommend D. septentrionalis, which is really beautiful
>> and suffers anywhere above 20 degrees.
>>
>> Has anyone looked specifically for heat-tolerant isolates of D. discoideum?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Gareth
>>

>>> Hello,
>>> Does anyone know of any relatively temperature tolerant strain that is
>>> OK at 30 C or even a tad higher?  Or something similar to dicty?
>>> I would dearly love to acquire it, if it exists.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joy

Wolfgang Nellen
Abt. Genetik
Universität Kassel
Heinrich-Plett-Str. 40
Germany
phone: ++49 (0)561 804 4805

Diese Nachricht wurde mit dem Webmail der Uni Kassel versendet.