DICTY Archives

January 2013, Week 4

From:
Michael Myre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:39:02 -0500
The Cellometer Mini or T4 from Nexcelom are great, easy and fast. The
cost of the mini I am not sure about but the T4 is ~ 4K.

The Cellometer Vision is ~ 35K...and fantastic. You can count cell
number, concentration, diameter, viability (in live and dead cells) in
less than a minute, GFP, RFP and YFP expression analysis of
transformants, proliferation, autophagy, apoptosis, cell cycle, surface
markers etc. can all be performed.

Richard's method sounds easy and affordable too. The only drawbacks on
cell counting is that it doesn't take into consideration total
biomass...which is important when analyzing mutants that differ in size.
Comparing cell strains (RNAs, metabolites etc.) by using equal cell
numbers can introduce a lot of variability if biomass isn't accounted
for.

Best,

Mike

On 2013-01-21 15:07, Damer, Cynthia Kay wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am interested in buying an automated cell counter.  Does anyone
> have any advice about what kind to buy for use with Dicty cells?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cynthia
>
> Cynthia K. Damer
> Professor