DICTY Archives

June 2023, Week 2

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2023 22:03:49 +0000
dictyNews

Electronic Edition

Volume 49, number 16

June 9, 2023

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been

accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]

or by using the form at

http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other

useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:

http://twitter.com/dictybase

=========

Abstracts

=========

Formation and closure of macropinocytic cups in Dictyostelium

Judith E. Lutton1, Helena L. E. Coker2†, Peggy Paschke3†,

6 Christopher J. Munn4, Jason S. King4*, Till Bretschneider1*

& 7 Robert R. Kay3*

Current Biology, in press

Macropinocytosis is a conserved endocytic process where cells

engulf droplets of medium into micron-sized vesicles. We use

light-sheet microscopy to define an underlying set of principles

by which macropinocytic cups are shaped and closed in

Dictyostelium amoebae. Cups form around domains of PIP3

stretching almost to their lip and are supported by a specialized

F-actin scaffold from lip to base. They are shaped by a ring of

actin polymerization created by recruiting Scar/WAVE and

Arp2/3 around PIP3 domains, but how cups evolve over time

to close and form a vesicle is unknown. Custom 3D analysis

shows that PIP3 domains expand from small origins,

capturing new membrane into the cup and crucially, that cups

close when domain expansion stalls. We show cups can close

in two ways: either at the lip, by inwardly-directed actin

polymerization; or the base by stretching and delamination

of the membrane. This provides the basis for a conceptual

mechanism, where closure is brought about by a combination

of stalled cup expansion, continued actin polymerization at the

lip and membrane tension. We test this using a biophysical

model, which can recapitulate both forms of cup closure and

explain how 3-dimensional cup structures evolve over time to

mediate engulfment.

Submitted by Robert Kay [[log in to unmask]]

[End dictyNews, volume 49, number 16]