DICTY Archives

June 2011, Week 4

From:
Michael Myre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:20:13 -0400
i always subclone and sequence before putting the insert into its final
vector (e.g., pDM323).

if the vector is not being cut properly to allow for insert ligation, i
would expect much more than 20 colonies. both bglII and speI have short
cutting times and from what i can see in pDM323 the sites are separated by
4-5 bps...this minimal overhang can make it difficult for an enzyme to
recognize the site if it has been cut. under these conditions, sequential
digests seem to work better in my hands. cut with one...clean it on a
column, then digest with the next enzyme. i would use bglII first because
it cannot be heat inactivated. the in a double digest one of the enzymes
might be mis-cutting the site...hence no ligation of vector to itself or
with insert and few colonies.

second, if you're trying to pcr the fragment after it has already been
subcloned, you can pretty much rule out toxicity of the fragment. but i
would typically use 6 NTs upstream of the primer restriction site to
ensure RE cleavage...3 can work, but not as efficiently. third...if you
are going to go the PCR route...order primers with BamHI sites on each
primer...cut pDM323 with BglII and purify...purify insert, ligate, take an
aliquot of the ligation, cut it with BglII...this will linearize
re-ligated vector but not insert ligated vector....transform cells and
screen colonies by directional pcr. XL10 gold cells are best if worried
about vector size but your vector+insert size doesn't seem too big.

mike

Michael A. Myre, PhD
Center for Human Genetic Research
Massachusetts General Hospital