DICTY Archives

February 2016, Week 4

From:
Rupert Mutzel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2016 10:51:18 +0100
Dear Jon,

We have grown Ax-2 cells in bubble-column and airlift reactors (25 - 300
ml) both in defined medium and in association with E. coli K-12
continuously in chemostats and turbidostats. Airlifts are preferred since
it is difficult to set up bubble columns that will not allow accumulation
of sediments at the bottom. Air can be supplied either by an aquarium pump
or by a central compressor and air flow should be adjusted by capillary
resistances such as described by Lusche et al. (Biotechniques. 2004
37(6):970-5).

Don't try to use HL5 or other complex media without antifoam, your culture
will be gone within minutes.

All the best

Rupert