DICTY Archives

November 2013, Week 2

From:
"Doquang, Kimchi" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 03:50:51 -0500
Harry MacWilliams used to plate contaminated Dicty cultures onto
KK2-agar. He would take a plate of Klebsiella (pre-grown on SM or LB
agar) and resuspend the bacteria in 5ml of sterile KK2 buffer. He would
collect the cells from the contaminated Dicty culture by centrifugation,
wash them once in KK2 buffer, resuspend them in about half a mL of the
Klebsiella suspension, then spread the mix onto KK2-agar (or KK2 plates
containing 100 micrograms per ml of G418 for Dicty transformed with a
V18Tn5 vector). The Dicty will clear the bacterial lawn in about 3 days,
then one can harvest the spores and put them back into HL5.
Kimchi