DICTY Archives

September 2017, Week 3

From:
"Thompson, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:35:58 +0000
Two postdoc positions (1x bioinformatics and 1x wet lab) are available at University College London. Our lab studies how cell fate choice and proportioning is robust and reproducible, despite the fact that extensive cell-cell variation is generated by noise and stochasticity, which can cause heterogeneous gene network activity. Therefore to understand how cell fate choice and patterning are achieved during development and regeneration, we are trying to determine:

(1) How are the gene networks that regulate differentiation affected by noise and stochasticty?

(2) Do differentiating cells all follow the same path towards the differentiated state?

Until recently, however, it has been impossible to follow the behaviour of entire gene networks in individual cells, or to follow their temporal changes in activity in individual cells as they differentiate along different linages. Single cell gene expression analysis, together with novel computational reconstruction of gene network dynamics provides this opportunity. Therefore, in this project you will use powerful new single cell RNA-sequencing approaches to follow changes in gene expression over time in individual differentiating cells.

You will join a multidisciplinary team led by Professor Chris Thompson, following our move to UCL in September 2017. This work builds upon our recent discovery of a novel robust developmental circuitbased on an ultradian cell fate oscillator. The approaches used in the lab include transcriptomics, functional genomics, molecular genetics, live cell imaging, and mathematical modeling.

Key Requirements

Candidates with extensive experience of using either computational genomic approaches (Position 1) or wet lab approaches (Position 2) to understand the molecular basis of gene networks will be considered. You should currently hold or be about to obtain a PhD in Computational, Cell, Molecular or Developmental Biology.

The post funded by the Wellcome Trust and is available for 18 months in the first instance (with possibility of extension).

(Grade 7, Salary (inclusive of London allowance) £34,635 – £41,864 per annum)

If you would like to discuss the post please contact Professor Chris Thompson, [log in to unmask]

To learn more about our work visit: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__thethompsonlab.wordpress.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=G0i-xkKvWepiOT01FF_Nx9XkaEEFt5Dttsc3yIePxBPU44aHfHsMfVSlUygwIJiN&m=-r09E9XbM1moQKf1vr_DR_YMx5DBV-69Z72rAUezSUs&s=i7GSpyCtCVkiV_qIf1kZMuiVW0wwX1h5dEUsQEP4ThY&e=

For any queries regarding the application process, please contact Biosciences Staffing on [log in to unmask] and quote the reference 1670534

Chris Thompson

Professor of Evolutionary and Developmental Genetics

Dept of Genetics, Evolution and Environment

University College London

Darwin Building, Gower Street

London WC1E 6BT

Phone: 020 7678 4483 (int 34483)

lab website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__thethompsonlab.wordpress.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=G0i-xkKvWepiOT01FF_Nx9XkaEEFt5Dttsc3yIePxBPU44aHfHsMfVSlUygwIJiN&m=-r09E9XbM1moQKf1vr_DR_YMx5DBV-69Z72rAUezSUs&s=lKKJwzV7OQ2eAfK5_ScRmTru_mTnYVT3N6fhEJnWjik&e=

Treasurer, British Society of Developmental Biology

email: [log in to unmask]

website: bsdb.org