DICTY Archives

April 2014, Week 3

From:
John D Reeve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:31:24 +0000
Hi All,

I'm interested in predator-prey dynamics, and would like to use D. discoideum-E. coli as a simple lab system.  For observations, I'm using a stereoscope at 50X with a combination of direct lighting and light reflected upward through the petri dish.  The growth medium is a thin layer of SM agar.  I'm not having any problems observing the amoebas on the agar surface, but they sure are hard to see on the bacterial colonies.  I can see little bumps crawling around the colony surface but they are pretty indistinct.  Any ideas on visualizing amoebas on bacterial colonies?  Would a GFP strain help?  Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
John D. Reeve

************************************
John D. Reeve
Associate Professor
Department of Zoology
1125 Lincoln Drive
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901-6501
(618) 453-6670 (office)
(618) 453-2806 (fax)
http://www.zoology.siu.edu/people/reeve.html

William F. Buckley on Wordstar vs. modern
word processing programs:

"I'm told there are better programs, but I'm
also told there are better alphabets."