DICTY Archives

January 2010, Week 1

From:
David Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:01:30 -0800
Hi Stephen,
We purchase Formedium HL5 w/ glucose in 250 g containers (~15 at a time).  It took about 2 months to get the 1st permit and our cost was $133.  Annual renewals are $86.  The permit is for a specific item(s) and not a blanket permit.  You can get the form at: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/downloads/vs16_3.pdf

Once we had the permit, it took about 1.5 mo to get the order from Formedium.  Initially, not knowing about the permit process, our order sat in the Formedium office for a couple of months without action.  Our first orders from Formedium did not require a permit and took about 2 months, so we did not realize there was a problem.  I recommend tracking the order on a regular basis.

David

David Lindsey
Professor of Biology
Walla Walla University