DICTY Archives

September 2012, Week 4

From:
David Queller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:13:52 -0500
Loss of developmental competence in axenic culture could involve selection - not direct selection if fruiting isn't occurring - but selection on traits that are pleiotropically related to fruiting.  However, we also have results (soon to be submitted) on phenotypic traits from the same mutation-accumulation study where selection is minimized, and we see the same kinds of increases in variance and declines in fitness that you see in such studies.  So it appears that, though the point mutation rate is very low, mutational degradation of phenotypic traits does occur.  We're not sure what the explanation is.  It could be mutations of other types such as indels but we haven't thought much about epigenetic changes.

Dave Q.