DICTY Archives

December 2013, Week 3

From:
Michael Myre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:56:10 -0500
Biorad genepulser:
0.8-0.9 kV...usually 0.85
25 uF
200 ohms
0.1cm cuvette

100 ul of cells suspended in a slurry of DNA that was eluted in
electroporation buffer.

two pulses....5 sec between pulses...0.6-0.9 time constant.

healing solution is optional but i use it...a mix of CaCl2 and
MgCl2...I add 2 uL to the mix post-transformation. 10 minutes on ice.
dilute in fresh HL5 - use antibiotic as a prophylactic...not AMP ever.
especially if AMP resistance resides on the vector you used. use Kan.
plate diluted mixes into 4-5 10 cm dishes and incubate at 21-22C
overnight.
add drug the next day (e.g., G418) after 16-20hrs recovery. do a kill
curve first if the drug is pre-made and fresh. GFP-expressing cells can
be seen at this time prior to adding the G418.

with this technique...a single confluent well from a 6-well dish and
1-2 ug linearized DNA eluted in electroporation buffer will give you
thousands of colonies

--
Michael A. Myre, PhD
Instructor of Neurology, Asst. in Genetics

dispose of the e-mail.