DICTY Archives

May 2019, Week 2

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2019 16:58:33 +0000
dictyNews

Electronic Edition

Volume 45, number 13

MAY 3, 2019

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been

accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]

or by using the form at

http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other

useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:

http://twitter.com/dictybase

=========

Abstracts

=========

Cyclic AMP induction of Dictyostelium prespore gene expression

requires autophagy

Yoko Yamada and Pauline Schaap*

School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, DD15EH,

Dundee, UK

Developmental Biology, in press

Dictyostelium discoideum amoebas display colonial multicellularity

where starving amoebas aggregate to form migrating slugs and

fruiting bodies consisting of spores and three supporting cell types.

To resolve the cell signalling mechanism that control sporulation,

we use insertional mutagenesis of amoebas transformed with fusion

constructs of spore genes and red fluorescent protein. We identified

the defective gene in a mutant lacking spore gene expression as the

autophagy gene Atg7. Directed knock-out of atg7 and of autophagy

genes like atg5 and atg9 yielded a similar phenotype, with lack of

viable spores and excessive differentiation of stalk cells. The atg7-,

atg5- and atg9- cells were specifically defective in cAMP induction of

prespore genes, but showed enhanced cAMP stimulation of prestalk

genes at the same developmental stage. The lack of prespore gene

induction in the autophagy mutants was not due to deleterious effects

of loss of autophagy on known components of the cAMP pathway,

such as cAMP receptors  and their cAMP-induced phosphorylation

and internalization, PKA and the transcription factors SpaA and GbfA,

or to lack of NH3 production by proteolysis, which was previously

suggested to stimulate the spore pathway. Our continued mutagenesis

approach is the most likely to yield the intriguing link between

autophagy and prespore gene induction.

submitted by:  Pauline Schaap [[log in to unmask]]

——————————————————————————————————————

A Terpene Synthase-Cytochrome P450 Cluster in Dictyostelium

discoideum Produces a Novel Trisnorsesquiterpene.

Chen, X., Luck, K., Rabe, P., Dinh, C.Q.D., Shaulsky, G., Nelson,

D.R., Gershenzon, J., Dickschat, J.S., Köllner, T.G., and Chen, F.

eLife, in press

Author-approved pdf: https://elifesciences.org/articles/44352

Terpenoids are enormously diverse, but our knowledge of their

biosynthesis and functions is limited. Here we report on a terpene

synthase (DdTPS8)-cytochrome P450 (CYP521A1) gene cluster

that produces a novel C12 trisnorsesquiterpene and affects the

development of Dictyostelium discoideum. DdTPS8 catalyzes the

formation of a sesquiterpene discoidol, which is undetectable from

the volatile bouquet of wild type D. discoideum. Interestingly, a

DdTPS8 knockout mutant lacks not only discoidol, but also a

putative trisnorsesquiterpene. This compound was hypothesized

to be derived from discoidol via cytochrome P450 (CYP)-catalyzed

oxidative cleavage. CYP521A1, which is clustered with DdTPS8,

was identified as a top candidate. Biochemical assays

demonstrated that CYP521A1 catalyzes the conversion of

discoidol to a novel trisnorsesquiterpene named discodiene. The

DdTPS8 knockout mutant exhibited slow progression in development.

This study points to the untapped diversity of natural products made

by D. discoideum, which may have diverse roles in its development

and chemical ecology.

submitted by:  Gad Shaulsky [[log in to unmask]]

——————————————————————————————————————

Force Balances Between Interphase Centrosomes, as Revealed

by Laser Ablation

Jacob Odell, Vitali Sikirzhytski, Irina Tikhonenko, Sonila Cobani,

Alexey Khodjakov, and Michael Koonce

Mol. Biol. Cell,  in press

Numerous studies have highlighted the self-centering activities of

individual microtubule arrays in animal cells, but relatively few works

address the behavior of multiple arrays that coexist in a common

cytoplasm. In multinucleated Dictyostelium discoideum cells, each

centrosome organizes a radial microtubule network and these

networks remain separate from one another. This feature offers an

opportunity to reveal mechanism(s) responsible for positioning of

multiple centrosomes. Using a laser microbeam to eliminate one of

the two centrosomes in binucleate cells, we show that the unaltered

array is rapidly repositioned at the cell center. This result

demonstrates that each microtubule array is constantly subject to

centering forces and infers a mechanism to balance the positions of

multiple arrays. Our results address the limited actions of three

kinesins and a crosslinking MAP that are known to have effects in

maintaining microtubule organization, and suggest a simple means

used to keep the arrays separated.

submitted by:  Michael Koonce [[log in to unmask]]

[End dictyNews, volume 45, number 13]