DICTY Archives

April 2009, Week 4

From:
Marcus Fechheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:20:44 -0400
Dear Jennie,

With high end instrumentation, you get what you pay for.
In addition, keeping it running usually requires a tech and/or a
service contract.

I recommend that they seriously consider whether they can work with the
multi-user facility.
I would predict that even if heavily used, the fees will not approach
the cost of the instrument
and the ongoing maintenance issues.

We routinely run, analyze, and even sort Dicty in the multi-user
facility here and
there have not been issues from other users.  But, I am sure that the
instrumentation
costs more than $50,000.  Further, it has a full time tech and a
service contract.

regards, mf

On Apr 23, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Jennie Kuzdzal-Fick wrote:

> Hi,
> The Strassmann/Queller lab is interested in purchasing a reasonably
> priced flow cytometer for determining the percent of fluorescently
> labeled cells or spores in mixes with unlabeled strains. We generally
> use either gfp or green Cell Tracker CMFDA labeled strains. Does
> anyone have recommendations or reviews for flow cytometers under
> $50,000 that might work well for us?
> Thank you,
> Jennie Kuzdzal-Fick
>

> --
> Jennie Kuzdzal-Fick
> PhD Candidate
> Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
> Rice University
> 6100 Main Street MS-170
> Houston, TX 77005
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Marcus Fechheimer
Josiah Meigs Professor of Cellular Biology
724 Biological Sciences Building
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia  30602
T:  706-542-3338