DICTY Archives

November 2013, Week 2

From:
Wolfgang Nellen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:09:53 +0100
We have (had) these bugs too. They are sometimes a pain in the neck,
especially when you do immunofluorescence.
Dicty grows ok in suspension culture and they sometimes eat them (we saw
the bugs inside Dicty).
They seem to come from the medium but different charges had the same
problem.
We actually made media the old way (from single components): same problem.

They are pretty esoteric: grow very slow, appear to need Dicty to grow
(do not grow in LB or on LB plates, do not grow in HL5 when you dilute
out the Dicty), are resistant to everything we tried - apparently even
to autoclaving: we possibly saw a few in fresh media (difficult to
identify, just little grey spots).
Sorry, we have no good advice. At some point (after a lot of
unsuccessful work to get rid of them) they more or less disappeared the
same way they came.
wolfgang