DICTY Archives

September 2023, Week 1

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:42:20 +0000
dictyNews

Electronic Edition

Volume 49, number 22

September 1, 2023

Please submit abstracts of your papers as soon as they have been

accepted for publication by sending them to [log in to unmask]

or by using the form at

http://dictybase.org/db/cgi-bin/dictyBase/abstract_submit.

Back issues of dictyNews, the Dicty Reference database and other

useful information is available at dictyBase - http://dictybase.org.

Follow dictyBase on twitter:

http://twitter.com/dictybase

=========

Abstracts

=========

Cleavage furrow positioning in dividing Dictyostelium cells

Akiko Okada & Shigehiko Yumura

Accepted in Cytoskeleton

Accurate placement of the cleavage furrow is crucial for successful

cell division. Recent advancements have revealed that diverse

mechanisms have evolved across different branches of the

 phylogenetic tree. Here, we employed Dictyostelium cells to

validate previous models. We observed that during metaphase and

early anaphase, mitotic spindles exhibited random rotary movements

which ceased when the spindle elongated by approximately 7 μm.

At this point, astral microtubules reached the polar cell cortex and

fixed the spindle axis, causing cells to elongate by extending polar

pseudopods and divide along the spindle axis. Therefore, the position

of the furrow is determined when the spindle orientation is fixed.

The distal ends of astral microtubules stimulate the extension of

pseudopods at the polar cortex. One signal for pseudopod extension

may be phosphatidylinositol trisphosphate in the cell membrane, but

there appears to be another unknown signal. At the onset of polar

pseudopod extension, cortical flow began from both poles toward

the equator. We suggest that polar stimulation by astral microtubules

determines the furrow position, induces polar pseudopod extension

and cortical flow, and accumulates the elements necessary for the

construction of the contractile ring.

Submitted by Shigehiko Yumura [[log in to unmask]]

[End dictyNews, volume 49, number 22]