DICTY Archives

December 2010, Week 2

From:
Petra Fey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:03:56 -0600
Hi Maria,

By mistake I sent the response to you already to the ListServ, and it got already a couple of responses, pasted below. If you have general Dicty questions you should subscribe, as often important topics are being discussed.

Best wishes,
Petra

----
I ran into this problem earlier this year.  I consulted composition tables published by BD for all of their peptones, and found that Proteose Peptone No. 3 is most similar to Thiotone E peptone.  Thus, I now make HL5 with a 50:50 mixture of Proteose Peptone No. 2 (#212120) and Proteose Peptone No. 3 (#211693).  Cells seem pretty happy in this medium.  I have also had good luck with the pre-made stuff from Formedium, but it's difficult to get because of customs issues.

Good luck!

Dan Dickinson
Stanford University
----

We have started using proteose peptone 3 in stead of proteose peptone 2 from BD over a year ago when proteose peptone 2 was on a too long backorder, and have not noticed any differences in growth. We now use only proteose peptone 3 in our HL5.

Greetings,

Hanke
----