DICTY Archives

November 2009, Week 1

From:
Pierre Cosson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:07:42 +0100
On 5 nov. 09, at 00:37, Deen wrote:

> Liao, Xin-hua (NIH/NIDDK) [F] wrote:
>> Hi, dear all,
>> Since I joined Dicty community, I encountered a lot of technique
>> problems or confusions. Some of them may be not a real problem, and
>> the question may be stupid, but they all bother me for a long time.
>> I put them all here, hope you can help me clarify them.
>>
>> 1.      Blasticidin selection: for knock out, after transformation
>> for around 5 days under blasticidin selection, I transfer single
>> colonies under medium to 96-well plate. For 96 colonies, only a few
>> of them (usually around 10) can really grow up in the wells again.
>> It looks to me a lot of "fake" colonies survive through the drug
>> selection. If the recombination rate happens to be low, this
>> phenomenon will make the screening very difficult to me. 5ug/ml of
>> blasticidin is used. (This concentration is enough to stop WT cells
>> growing and kill them under shaking condition, though).
>>
> this is based on my experience some ax2 cells are slightly resistant
> to Bsr even when we used at 5ug/ml Bsr we got some fake colonies
> (but not 90% as you see) but to avoid this we do selection at 10ug/
> ml Bsr. Sometimes longer selection in Bsr is also a solution (may be
> 2 weeks). Based on the number of colonies on your plate you can
> decide whether to gradually increase the drug concentration or
> select for longer or may be combination of both may help resolve
> your problem.
>
>> 2.      G418 selection: for overexpression, after transformation
>> for around 5 days under G418 selection, I spread single cell on KA
>> plate, and then pick single colony to culture in 12-well plate. A
>> lot of them can not expand in the well anymore. Again, I suspect
>> some WT cells survive through the drug selection. 20ug/ml of G418
>> is used. Even for the real colonies growing up, sometimes only a
>> few of them express target protein, others do not express but are
>> G418 resistant. This will make me picking a stable overexpression
>> cell line is as difficult as screening a knock-out strain!
>>
> again try longer selection (2 weeks) but there are other variables
> too -    getting transformants also varies from gene to gene and
> vector to vector, it may take longer too (like once it took almost a
> month for me to get good % of overexpressor mutant). Also from my
> experience i would say try to keep always in drug selection (until
> you get good % of transformants and later you can keep them growing
> at low concentration of drug) because when you take to KA plate
> (where there is no drug selection) the cells tend to get rid of the
> vector. So best is pick colonies directly from selection plate to 96
> well plate.

If I may add to this: do not forget that if you do a very short
selection (5 days is very short, especially for G418 selection), you
select cells with a stable integration, but also MANY cells containing
the non-integrated plasmid.  The latter are only lost upon prolonged
selection as cells divide and the plasmid is diluted away.

Pierre Cosson
Centre Medical Universitaire
Dpt of Cell Physiology and Metabolism
1 rue Michel Servet