DICTY Archives

March 2009, Week 1

From:
Laurent Meijer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:32:10 +0100
Dear colleagues,

       I am a CNRS researcher leading a team working on protein kinases,
with special focus on the search for, identification, optimization and
characterization of pharmacological inhibitors of disease-relevant
kinases such as cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs), glycogen synthase
kinase-3 (GSK-3), casein kinase 1 (CK1), etc. Most of our inhibitors
have been co-crystallized with their kinase targets. Our first drug,
roscovitine, is currently in late phase 2 clinical trials against non
small cell lung cancer and nasopharyngal cancer. We hope to have a
second drug in clinical trial next year against some renal diseases with
no current treatment. Most of our papers are available as pdf files on
our website.

       During the last few years we have worked on an orthologue of
GSK-3 in /Plasmodium falciparum/. We have published only one paper so
far in this field. Yet we have intensively (4 years !) screened for
selective inhibitors of PfGSK-3 and have discovered a class of molecules
that exquisitely inhibit PfGSK-3 and are totally inefficient on
mammalian GSK-3. I feel that this unique selectivity is quite promising,
although we clearly need to do more chemistry to improve the compounds
down to nanomolar IC50 values (we are now around 0.2-0.4 uM).

       Given the conservation of GSK-3 sequence among the different
//Plasmodium //species, I suspect that they will all be sensitive to our
inhibitors, which would be quite interesting in terms of potential
therapeutic applications. We are currently expressing GSK-3 from 4 other
species of /Plasmodium /(/vivax, knowlesi, berghei/). Very interestingly
we found that GSK-3 from /Leishmania /(/donovani /and /major/) and
/Trypanosoma /(/brucei /and /cruzi/) are not sensitive to our
inhibitors. We are currently collecting GSK-3 clones from as many
species as possible (covering appropriate & diverse branches of the tree
of life) to identify where GSK-3 becomes sensitive to our class of
compounds.

       I am just wondering if anyone would have and be so kind as to
send me a clone of the  GSK-3 orthologue in /Dictyostelium discoideum/
to express the kianse and evaluate its sensitivity to our inhibitors. Of
course, if by chance, you happen to have clones of GSK-3 from other
organisms (in particular unicellular parasites), I would be most
interested to make use of them !

         Many thanks for your appreciated help and best wishes for your
work,

         Laurent Meijer

--
Laurent Meijer