DICTY Archives

May 2017, Week 3

From:
Wolfgang Nellen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2017 05:34:42 +0200
There is another remarkable feature of miRNAs in Dicty:

The RbdB KO has essentially no detectable levels of miRNAs. As far as we
can see there is no obvious mutant phenotype in growth and development
in this strain. One may certainly do a more detailed analysis but in
contrast to expectations (at least mine) the cells appear quite happy. I
can envision three explanations: 1. miRNAs are just there for fun (quite
unlikely), 2. miRNAs are essential for sub-optimal conditions in the
wild, 3. miRNAs are essential for the sexual cycle (which is difficult
to investigate and is ignored by most people in the field).