NETG Archives

October 2019, Week 2

NETG@LISTSERV.IT.NORTHWESTERN.EDU

From:
Brendan Badia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2019 09:39:33 -0500
Anyone interested in sustainability may want to check this out:

Hi NETG,

My name is Jacob and I'm a PhD student studying computer science and learning sciences. I came to a few of NETG events last year, and I hope to continue this year as it is a great group of people who care about the environment. As you are probably aware, one of the most effective things we can do to reduce our negative impact on the planet is to stop eating beef. This is because agriculture is responsible for as much carbon emissions as the entire transportation industry combined, and more than half of that is from cows alone. If the cattle industry were its own country, it would be the third largest emitter in the world.

Any individual who makes dietary changes for the sake of the environment is amazing, but we can do even better by getting institutions to stop providing beef. The #NoBeef campaign has already started along these lines in the UK and successfully got the University of Cambridge dining services to stop providing beef. Now, a #NoBeef campaign is coming to NU.

If this campaign interests you, we will have our first meeting next Tuesday, October 15th 6:30-7:30pm in the main library north tower room 3322. It is on the third floor of the north tower to the left of the tower entrance.

Feel free to email with any questions or if you are interested in getting involved but can't make this meeting: [log in to unmask] (also if you think this campaign is a bad idea, I'd love to talk to you to hear why).

All the best,
Jacob