Dear Colleagues,

The Office for Research is considering how best to enhance the core facility research infrastructure.  We have heard several ideas for new cores, including a Recombinant Protein Production/Purification Core and a Small Molecule Library Drug Discovery core – there are likely others that we are not aware of.  Alternatively, there may be personnel resources and/or state-of-the art technology that would provide a significant new sub-core within an existing core.

We are soliciting ideas in the form of a one-page proposal for new cores or significant enhancement of an existing core.  The proposal should be submitted by a faculty member(s) who would be the Director of a new core or who would drive the establishment of a sub-core (see http://www.research.northwestern.edu/facilities/management.html for information on expectations and financing of core facilities).  If compelling ideas that serve a number of faculty and provide a substantial leap forward in Northwestern research infrastructure are submitted, they will considered for further development.

If you wish to establish or enhance a core, please email me a one-page summary outlining a plan for a new core or sub-core facility and an explanation of how this would transform research at NU by December 18, 2009.  Include a rough budget (not within the one-page limit).

Best wishes,
Linda

Linda Hicke
Associate Vice President for Research
Professor of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology & Cell Biology
Northwestern University
Hogan 2-100, 2205 Tech Drive
Evanston, IL 60208-3500
847-467-4490